About this position:
The Democratic Party of Orange County (DPOC) seeks a Communications Director to oversee its internal and external communications. Located between Los Angeles and San Diego counties, Orange County is one of the nation’s largest major metro market areas. Our diverse, multilingual region covers approximately 1,000 square miles, 34 cities and unincorporated areas, 3.2 million residents and more than 525,000 registered Democratic voters.
In the 2018 Midterm elections, Orange County was instrumental in nationally-watched efforts to retake control of the US House of Representatives and gain key State legislative, county, municipal and school trustee seats. For the 2020 cycle, DPOC is committed to becoming the region’s dominant political party and expanding ground while protecting victories at every level of office. This is a dynamic, fast-paced workplace environment. This position requires a results-oriented self-starter with strong relationship-building skills, sound personal judgement, and the ability to manage multiple competing priorities at once.
- Develop overall messaging. Monitor news cycles on countywide and statewide issues, candidates, elections, and ballot initiatives, and coordinate with campaigns where appropriate.
- Generate earned media. Develop press relationships, develop and pitch stories, process inbound inquiries, update media lists, and help coordinate interviews and/or background, media kits or talking points, and rapid response or crisis management.
- Expand digital reach. Manage and maintain social media including post content, scheduling, and inquiry processing. Update website and maintain basic backend support. Schedule and create email marketing communications, and digital advertising. May including digital fundraising.
- Develop graphic design and production. Design and print various pieces as needed. May include forms, signs, brochures, postcards, walk pieces, digital ads/graphics, infographics, etc.
- Event production. Event support for DPOC’s signature annual gala as well as small fundraisers, workshops, rallies, etc. May include event promotion, RSVP tracking, Facebook event pages, calendar listings, etc.
- Facilitate DPOC meetings. Attend and help produce or facilitate monthly Central Committee meetings, Executive Committee meetings, Council of Club meetings and other important functional meetings convened by DPOC.
- Facilitate Democratic Clubs and Grassroots relationships. Attend Club meetings and grassroots events to maintain community relationships and identify issues of concern, and manage inbound requests for advanced communications support.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Organized and capable of managing multiple projects at once
- Strong and consistent professionalism working with diverse constituencies
- Ability to work efficiently and under sensitive time constraints
- Ability to manage and delegate with volunteers and interns
- At least one cycle of communications experience on political campaigns or in governmental offices
- Digital media skills, familiarity with popular social media apps
- Email marketing skills, familiarity with analytics and segmentation a plus
- Basic graphic design skills, Photoshop and InDesign a plus
- Multilingual or bilingual in Orange County’s most commonly-used languages preferred
- Strong commitment to Democratic principles
- Familiarity with Orange County local issues a plus
To apply: Email resume, cover letter, and writing sample to: firstname.lastname@example.org, with subject line “Communications Director.” No phone calls, please.
Posted January 21, 2019. Position open until filled.