Join our team and make a difference.
THE DEMOCRATIC PARTY OF ORANGE COUNTY SEEKS FULL-TIME ORGANIZING DIRECTOR
Orange County is the nation’s sixth largest county, with 3.2 million residents and more than 650,000 registered Democratic voters. Our local races have statewide and national impacts. Do you have what it takes to organize for Democracy? Please see our job description below.
JOB DESCRIPTION: POLITICAL DIRECTOR
Overview: The Democratic Party of Orange County (DPOC) seeks the services of a Political Director. This position will be an employee of the DPOC and will be directly responsible to the Chair of the DPOC, and others as directed by the Chair. The responsibilities for this position include but are not limited to, candidate recruitment, community engagement, candidate/campaign assistance, fundraising, and communication coordination with other staff, officers, community members, and grassroots organizations. The requirements for this position include but are not limited to organizational skills, fundraising ability, strong writing and communication skills, a commitment to ethical practices, and a passion for democratic processes.
- Develop a recruitment plan and work in conjunction with the Chair, Officers, Central Committee members, Democratic Clubs and DPOC partners including labor unions, elected officials, and other allies to recruit Democrats for local races.
- Create and implement a strategic plan to recruit and develop Democrats to run for future elections.
- Develop materials to support candidate recruitment.
- Maintain a contact list of all candidates and potential candidates to facilitate communication and distribution of important information such as website listings and the DPOC endorsement process.
- Research potential candidates’ party registration and collects contact information during the filing process for each election.
- Correspond with Democrats by USPS, email, and/or phone to provide an endorsement questionnaire and information about the process and upcoming meetings.
- Compile questionnaire responses and provide them to the Vice Chairs, Officers, and Endorsement Committee members for review prior to the endorsement interviews.
- Communicate with Democratic clubs and other interested parties about timeline and process for endorsements
- Responsible for scheduling candidate interviews with officers and endorsement committees.
- Create an objective, efficient assessment matrix to summarize candidate evaluations to report to Executive Committee and Central Committee.
- Provide logistical, informational, and technical support to endorsed campaigns, including field organizing, volunteer coordination, communications, and data.
- Manage the Member-to-Member communications program, including bundling of income/resources, campaign materials development and production, and vendor payments. Coordinate with campaigns on Member-to-Member messaging and production.
- Maintain resources for candidates to include lists of campaign treasurers and consultants, training opportunities, etc.
- Compliance with reporting obligations in coordination with the Controller
- Coordinate with the Chair and Officers as directed, and the Communications Director, to ensure cohesiveness in external messaging.
- Provide technical and design guidance and support for campaign mailers and other election-focused communications for endorsed candidates and DPOC.
- Assist with communication projects as needed and as directed by the Chair
- Assist with fundraisers for DPOC including the annual Dinner.
- Attend DPOC fundraisers on behalf of the DPOC.
- Assist with fundraising for Member-to-Member and messaging for fundraising with DPOC contractors and the fundraising team.
- Coordinate payments to the DPOC as needed.
- Work with DPOC finance committee and Chair and Officers as needed.
- Provide monthly reports to Executive Committee and Central Committee in advance of the meetings.
- Work with and provide regular updates to DPOC Administrative Assistant and DPOC Treasurer for necessary record retention.
- Supervise and direct interns on routine and special projects during campaign season.
- Prepare detailed reports for Member-to-Member including candidates, expenses, and fundraising to be shared with DPOC officers and the Executive and Central Committee as directed.
- Coordination of state party accounts for Central Committee members.
- Assist with DSCC.
- Establish and maintain relationships with local elected officials to efficiently and effectively communicate and engage, with an emphasis on candidate recruitment, campaign support, and community engagement.
- Coordinate with the state party as needed.
- Collaborate with the Director of Organizing on field activities, voter registration, voter engagement, and GOTV.
- Assist with special projects as needed.
Minimum of two years of experience on an Orange County political campaign or in political communications.
Strong writing and communication skills including public speaking. Relevant writing samples are required.
Experience in a fast-paced environment with multiple projects and deadlines.
Demonstrated problem-solving ability.
Proven track record of excellent follow-through and accountability for work.
Outstanding organizational skills and attention to detail.
Working knowledge and experience with database tools, NGPVAN, ActBlue, PDI social media, and excel.
Able to work flexible hours including evenings and weekends.
Familiarity with State and Federal compliance regulations especially financial reporting rules.
An understanding of the Orange County Democratic political community is highly desirable.
Proven ability to communicate in a language other than English, both verbally and in writing.
May not be simultaneously employed by an active political campaign or work as a consultant or consulting firm while employed by the DPOC.
May not hold a position on the central committee if employed by the DPOC.
May not simultaneously serve in an appointed capacity on a state, county, or municipal board if employed by the DPOC.
May not be simultaneously running for elected office if employed by the DPOC.
Up to $6000 per month for up to nine months, commensurate with experience
Benefits allowance of $500 per month. Contract renewal contingent upon performance, funding availability, and Executive Committee approval.
Send resume to email@example.com
Democratic Party of Orange County
1475 S. State College Blvd. Suite 110
Anaheim, CA 92860